Broadway- North Cotswolds
The Manor of Broadway passed to the Crown in 1539 following the Reformation and was then sold off to a succession of owners. The bulk of the buildings date from Shakespeare’s time, though some are considerably older - the church of St. Eadburgha dates from 1160.
The present lay-out became established during the prosperous ‘wool years’ of the 17th and 18th Centuries when many of the buildings lining the main street were constructed - mainly humble domestic architecture but with some notable exceptions. Typically, the homesteads were built of Cotswold stone with stone roofs, with gables and low mullioned windows of three or four lead lights.
Broadway had Royalist sympathies and King Charles slept at Broadway Court in 1641. Oliver Cromwell later stayed overnight at the Lygon Arms before the Battle of Worcester in 1651.
The main street (now called High Street) was flanked by two streams until they were piped underground in 1862. The buildings had to be constructed beyond the streams, hence the unusually wide roadway.